- Breastfeeding Basics– Prenatal Breastfeeding Class
- Transitioning Back to Work Breastfeeding Consultation
- Breastfeeding Cafe Fridays, 10 AM until 11:30 AM Cancelled today, January 12th due to the impending weather!
- Newborn Care Class- Offered on the same day as our breastfeeding class in the AM through our community partners, Tree Town Doulas
- Childbirth Classes- Also offered through our community partners, Tree Town Doulas
Like our facebook page!
Breastfeeding Basics- Tools for Success
All breastfeeding classes are held at Center for the Childbearing Year. Patty Brennan at the Center has retired from offering parent classes so registration for this class is now being handled through The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor. Barbara Robertson is a board certified lactation consultant who has been teaching parents for over 15 years. Registration has changed but the great instructor, content and quality that the Center is known for are the same!
The breastfeeding relationship combines instinct and learned skills. This class focuses on the first critical weeks of your baby’s life and provides basic information and resources to prepare the mother-to-be for a satisfying breastfeeding experience. Since family support is a key factor in a positive breastfeeding experience, partners are also encouraged to attend. Listen to our podcast for more information!
Breastfeeding is the very best thing you can do nurture your baby. Learn all the basics to get off to a great start with breastfeeding. Knowledge is power! Topics include:
In our classes, we cover:
- How you make breastmilk
- The benefits of skin to skin contact
- How to tell if your baby is getting enough breastmilk
- The basics of latching and positioning
- We always have a breastfeeding mother come to our classes. Seeing is believing!
- And of course, we always have time for questions.
Saturday, February 10, 2018 from 1:30 PM until 4:30 PM
Saturday, March 31, 2018 from 1:30 PM until 4:30 PM
Saturday, May 12, 2018 from 1:30 PM until 4:30 PM
Saturday, July 14, 2018 from 1:30 PM until 4:30 PM
- getting started
- latching and positioning the baby
- overcoming common obstacles such as engorgement
- learning your baby’s hunger cues
- developing realistic expectations around breastfeeding
- when and where to seek help
Fee $60 per couple. A partner or a support person is encouraged to attend!
Held at the Center for the Childbearing Year, 722 Brooks Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Click on the appropriate class date above to register!
Transitioning Back to Work Breastfeeding Consultation
With Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC
Are you planning on returning to work in the early weeks and months following birth? In this class, we will provide expert advice to develop an individualized plan to meet the unique needs of your situation. What equipment is necessary? When should you begin your pumping regiment? When should you start introducing bottles to your baby? Ensure that your breastfeeding relationship continues uninterrupted by planning ahead! Moms are welcome to take this class during pregnancy or afterwards. Babies are welcome.
Fee $80.00 offered as needed Privately
The Breastfeeding Cafes
Fridays, 10-11:30 AM
Fee: No charge; pre-registration is not required; just come! Cancelled today, January 12th due to the impending weather! If Ann Arbor Public Schools are closed, so are we! Isn’t it great to live in Michigan!
Come and meet other women who are breastfeeding their babies! This free drop-in group focuses on supporting breastfeeding mothers. We provide a space for mothers to come and be with their babies and meet other breastfeeding mothers. Have a cup of tea, relax, and chat with others about what’s on your mind. Support staff is available to answer any breastfeeding questions with accurate, up-to-date information. Moms and babies can come for as many weeks as they need. One caveat: This is not a place to solve big breastfeeding problems. If you are having a lot of breastfeeding issues, your situation may warrant an individual breastfeeding consult.